Electricity is something most of us take for granted. We really don’t give it much thought except for when the power goes out. However, electrical issues could pose a serious threat. Faulty wiring could result in serious injuries from electrical shocks or could even lead to devastating fires. If you’re living in a rental property, it’s important to be aware of potential hazards and what options you may have if an accident occurs.
Issues that could cause wiring problems
There are several reasons where wiring could be a potential hazard, including those involving:
- Older buildings: Electrical problems are common in older buildings. In general, any building that is more than 20 years old is at a higher risk for having faulty wiring. However, that’s not to say that newer buildings are of no concern. Shoddy installation could also present a serious risk.
- Rodents: Mice, rats, even cockroaches, are not the pickiest eaters. When uninvited guests are living in your walls, they could be chewing on your wires. When they do, you could be in for a shock.
- Overloaded electrical systems: Most of the devices we use on a daily basis require electrical power. Older electrical systems may be unable to keep up with modern demands.
Just because the above issues could be a problem doesn’t mean that property owners get a pass. Your landlord should be responsible for updating and maintaining your home’s electrical system.
Warning signs of electrical issues
It’s important to be aware of some of the warning signs of faulty wiring. You should contact your landlord immediately if you’ve noticed:
- Flickering lights
- Mild electrical shocks when flipping a switch
- Frequently blown fuses
- Scorched or discolored electrical outlets
Your landlord has a duty to provide you with a safe living space. Typically, this duty extends to the wiring and electrical systems. When landlords fail to address these issues, tragedy can occur. You should discuss your options for pursuing compensation if you’ve suffered due to a serious electrical shock or fire caused by faulty wiring.